Job Title: Programs Officer
Duty Station: Kampala,Uganda
About US: InfoNile.org is a collaborative cross-border group of geojournalists with a mission to uncover critical stories on water and environment in the Nile River Basin of Africa through data-based multimedia storytelling. We are a project under Water Journalists Africa, the largest network of water journalists on the African continent.
With support from the JRS Biodiversity Foundation, InfoNile is seeking a skilled Programs Officer based in Uganda to help plan and coordinate InfoNile programs working with journalists across the Nile Basin countries, build partnerships with media houses and other organizations/individuals, and monitor the impact of InfoNile/Water Journalists Africa activities.
Tasks will include coordinating data and science journalism trainings, managing story grant programs for journalists, leading the development of an online web portal for journalists and scientists, managing the creation of in-depth data journalism projects involving journalists in different countries, and developing M&E systems to analyze the impact of these programs. This position is based in Kampala, Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and coordinate all InfoNile programs alongside the Directors, including trainings for journalists and story grant programs – from strategic ideation stage to managing logistics and necessary accountabilities, for instance, of inter-country workshops, and develop ideas for new programs in accordance with the strategic plan;
- Generate ideas and lead the development of a new online web portal connecting journalists and scientists including managing the development of online training modules;
- Assist in editing journalist grantees’ stories and providing support and mentorship to journalists throughout the reporting process;
- Manage the creation of in-depth multimedia data journalism projects involving journalists in different countries;
- Secure partnerships with media houses, organizations or freelance journalists in the region – to share content and for other opportunities;
- Manage current InfoNile/WJA partnerships;
- Mobilize journalists in the region to join the Water Journalists Africa network for continuing opportunities;
- Manage the InfoNile/Water Journalists Africa network over relevant platforms;
- Create and manage databases of contacts, program participants, stories published through grants, etc.
- Support on writing project proposals and mobilizing for new sources of funding through grants, innovative business schemes, etc.
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation strategies to track the reach and impact of programs.
- Work with the Directors to develop a comprehensive M&E plan and systems
- Create and implement relevant tools such as surveys and other strategies to measure impact
- Analyze data and report Key Performance Indicators.
- Prepare programs reports for funders incorporating analysis from evaluations.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:·
- Residency in Uganda
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- At least two years’ experience coordinating programs for NGOs (preferred).
- Experience developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems (preferred).
- Experience developing programs and writing project proposals (preferred).
- Broad and diverse networks with media houses and journalists in your country/region.
- Knowledge, experience and interest in issues of water and the environment in the Nile Basin.
- Experience working in/with journalists and the media (preferred).
- Be a strong self-starter and able to work independently and with self-initiative.
- Detail-oriented and strong critical thinking skills.
- Basic skills in data analysis and statistics.
- Visionary and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong communications and writing skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in at least one other Nile Basin language (Swahili, French, Arabic, Amharic, Kinyarwanda) (preferred)
How to Apply: If you are interested in applying to this position, please send a cover letter (max 1 page) and your CV via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Tentative starting date is 1st December 2019.
Deadline: 16th November 2019No tags for this post.