Job Title: Communications Officer
Duty Station: Kampala,Uganda
About Us: InfoNile.org is a collaborative cross-border group of geojournalists with a mission to uncover critical stories on water and environment in the Nile River Basin of Africa through data-based multimedia storytelling. We are a project of Water Journalists Africa, the largest network of water journalists on the African continent.
Job Summary: InfoNile is seeking a skilled Communications Officer based in Uganda to help communicate and promote InfoNile stories and programs working with journalists across the Nile Basin countries, build partnerships with media houses and other organizations/individuals, and work with journalists to create content. Tasks will include creating regular content for the InfoNile website and social media platforms, managing all organization communications, and working with journalists to edit stories and create data visualizations and videos. This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and requires a skilled communicator with experience and interest in Nile Basin water issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a strategic communications strategy alongside the InfoNile team;
- Communicate and promote InfoNile/WJA programs and stories comprehensively across a wide variety of platforms, both on and offline;
- Manage and create regular content for the InfoNile/WJA social media platforms including relevant data visualizations, graphics and videos for social media;
- Develop a marketing and communication strategy for the new InfoNile online platform connecting journalists and scientists;
- Develop a regular newsletter to send to the InfoNile network;
- Develop IEC materials to communicate the work and impact of the organization such as brochures and annual reports;
- Seek for press coverage through press releases, press conferences etc. as needed;
- Manage the InfoNile email address and official communications such as official letters and calls for applications;
- Manage a database of InfoNile/WJA contacts;
- Provide necessary support to communicate about InfoNile programs for donor reports or other purposes;
- Represent the public relations of InfoNile at any relevant forums or events.
- Critically edit journalist grantees’ stories and provide mentorship to journalists throughout the reporting process;
- Assist with the creation of in-depth multimedia data journalism projects involving journalists in different countries, including creating and editing videos;
- Create compilations of InfoNile stories such as magazines and documentaries;
- Secure content partnerships with media houses, organizations or freelance journalists in the region, and build the InfoNile/WJA network;
- Conduct research on relevant data sources related to water, environment and climate change issues to be visualized as interactive maps and other data visualizations;
- Publish and promote multimedia stories on the InfoNile and Water Journalists Africa WordPress websites and manage the overall look/content on the websites along with the IT officer;
- Any other duties as needed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Residency in Uganda
- Strong journalistic skills across multimedia platforms- writing, photography, video, radio, etc.
- Strong fact-checking skills
- Strong WordPress skills
- Strong social media skills and creating unique content and campaigns for social media, especially Facebook and Twitter
- Text, video, audio and photo editing skills
- (Preferred) data journalism and visualization skills
- Broad and diverse networks with media houses and journalists in Uganda and the Nile Basin region
- Knowledge, experience and interest in issues of water, environment and Nile-related topics
- At least two years’ experience working in/with the media
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a relevant field
- Be a strong self-starter and able to work independently and with self-initiative
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Fluency in English
- Public speaking skills
- Fluency in at least one other Nile Basin language (Swahili, French, Arabic, Amharic, Kinyarwanda) (preferred)
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying to this position, please send a cover letter (max 1 page) and your CV via email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 18th November 2020, early applications given priority
NB: Tentative starting date is 1st December 2020.